Here are the top things I learned about gardening from Pinterest:
- The most popular veggie that people grow in their gardens is tomatoes. Then cucumbers, then bell peppers.
- If you grow the veggie for its leaves (spinach, lettuce, kale) you need partial shade. Everything else can use full sun.
- Carrots hate to grow near strawberries. Beets like to grow near anything. And more.
- An easy way to practice crop rotation: for each area of your garden choose root, fruit, or leaf. Swap them each year. So the root section would grow onions, carrots, etc; fruit would grow broccoli, bell peppers, etc; and leaf would grow all greens.
- There are tons of fun apps that you can download to plan what your garden will look like.
- The cutest way to store seeds for next year is Tic Tac containers. Do you have some I can use?
- Epsom bath salts are not only a code name for high schooler's favourite drug, they also give magnesium to your soil which yields better veggies.
- Avocado pits aren't the only kitchen scrap that you can use to grow a house plant; also onions, garlic, ginger, celery to name a few!
- You can put the garbage from your vacuum bag, and the hair you pull out of your comb/brush into your compost.